SOLD: 1951 Bentley Mark VI Saloon RHD

slide 0

slide 1

slide 2

slide 3

slide 4

slide 5

slide 6

slide 7

slide 8

slide 9

slide 10

slide 11

slide 12

slide 13

slide 14

slide 15

slide 16

slide 17

slide 18

slide 19

slide 20

slide 21

slide 22

slide 23

slide 24

thumb slide 0 thumb slide 1 thumb slide 2 thumb slide 3 thumb slide 4 thumb slide 5 thumb slide 6 thumb slide 7 thumb slide 8 thumb slide 9 thumb slide 10 thumb slide 11 thumb slide 12 thumb slide 13 thumb slide 14 thumb slide 15 thumb slide 16 thumb slide 17 thumb slide 18 thumb slide 19 thumb slide 20 thumb slide 21 thumb slide 22 thumb slide 23 thumb slide 24

Details

Chassis B004046 Chassis B90LJ 

In 1946 Bentley introduced the Mark VI which stayed in production until 1952 with just over 5,200 examples produced. Mark VIs were large and impressive four-door automobiles. This marked the first automobile completely constructed by Rolls Royce and signified their move towards a 'standardized' body construction. Prior to this, Rolls Royce and Bentley provided a rolling chassis to coachbuilders. The vehicle was then outfitted, often under the direction of the individual buyer. The specifications often varied and each creation was a unique design. 
The Standard Steel Saloon body was produced at Pressed Steel's factory and delivered as a shell to the Rolls Royce factory. The body was then fitted to the chassis, and then received paint, lights, and chrome. The headlamps were no longer separate units but were integrated into the front wings. The interior was the final step in the build, outfitted in Connolly leather and walnut veneer. Prior to 1949, all models were right hand drive and right side floor shift, suiting the British market. From 1949, the Bentley Mark VI was equivalent to the Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn. Their difference was performance, with the Bentley the clear champion.

Sunroof and rear wheel spats were optional equipment. Later, the sunroof became standard on all Bentley Mark VI models.

The Bentley Mark VI had very few changes in six years of production. Most significant: enlarged engine, to 4566cc introduced in 1951. The 4.5 liter engine improved performance. 

4,000 Mark VIs were outfitted with a F-Head 4257 cc (4.25 liter) inline-six cylinder engine with twin SU carburetors, and aluminum cylinder head. Power was sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox with single plate clutch. Top speed: around 94 mph. Servo assisted drum brakes provided stopping power and the suspension were independent with coil springs.  1,202 Bentley Mark VIs were created with the 4566 cc engine; 180 examples were outfitted by coachbuilders.

This Bentley VI has lived with the last owner in Woburn, MA for last 10 years; previous owner for 30 years was professor at Bentley College who bought it while working in England. Imported to US as checked baggage on the SS France in 1974.  Detailed history of prior owners since new. Has UK title and tax circle , as well as Bill of Sale. 

Owners manual, workshop manual, small tool tray, handcrank, jack, under bonnet torch all present. Appears to be usable as a driver, or be fully restored with fresh paint and trim. 

Paint has numerous small chips. Leather appears original, with fading and some cracks. Sunroof.  Shifter on R of RHD cabin. Starts immediately. Brakes and handbrake appear to be in good working order.  

By Appointment Only

Please Call for More Details

We can Assist in Shipping Worldwide

 

PR Automotive Imports, Inc

Pat Roussel

617-993-3150

http://info@prautomotiveimports.com

http://prautomotiveimports.com